Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Ascension of Kosta Koufos

I have long been a detractor of Koufos, I never thought be should be a starter much less a role player off of the bench. I thought Timofey Mozgov should be in front of him since he added more skill on the offensive end. I said Javale should be starter and that he is better than Koufos right now.

Boy was I wrong. Kosta has been killing it all season even if it doesn't show up in the box score. On his worst day he is a solid defender who is on time for his rotations. In the last month, he has done much more than that. He is scoring much better than he ever has and his solid rebounding continues.

In his last two games Koufos has set his career highs for points (22) and rebounds (17). He should be getting more minutes than he has, but Karl just loves his small ball lineups.

He has played more under control on offense, not rushing his shots and making sure he gets good shots. Early in the season he would miss easy shots and layups. It looked like he would rush his shots and not follow through. He also had terrible hands, not catching passes inside that he should. It looks like his hands have improved also. I haven't had to criticize him in a long time for dropping easy passes on the pick and roll.

Javale McGee has not been playing well lately and it is pretty easy to see the gap that separates McGee from Koufos.

I think Koufos could end up being the starting center again next season and I would not have a problem with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment