Saturday, February 6, 2016

Super Bowl 50

We have had two weeks of talk, but now the game is actually almost here. This is Denver's 8th time going to the Super Bowl, which tied the record for most appearances in the big game. Carolina is still seeking their first Super Bowl win. They have had only one other Super Bowl appearance in Super Bowl XXXVIII against the New England Patriots. They lost a thriller when Adam Vinatieri with four seconds remaining.  One thing to remember for both teams is that it is an honor to get to the Super Bowl, only two teams do each season. Many Broncos fans doubted they would even make the playoffs after the mid-season Chiefs disaster game. Fans should relish in the fact that they got to see one of the greatest passers to ever play the game play in Denver and get the team to two Super Bowls. However, we all know there will be an empty feeling if they fail to win the final game for the second time in three years.

A lot is at stake for Manning's legacy. If the Broncos win, he is solidified as one of the best to ever play the position, but if they lose many people will bring up that he only won one Super Bowl when talking about his legacy. I don't think that it is fair that one game will decide how fans look back at Manning. He is one of the best quarterbacks in history who has been on the unlucky side in a lot of playoff games, which is affecting his legacy. It should be the onus of the media and fans to have a nuanced view on quarterbacks instead of just looking straight at win/loss.

The media has exhausted all of the possible talking points for the Super Bowl. Therefore, I will talk about fun things that still pertain to the game, namely betting.

All of my prop bets are under the assumption that the Broncos will win because I don't want to win money of they don't win the Super Bowl. However, there is one bet that seems like it could work if the Broncos win or lose. Will Peyton Manning cry at any point during the broadcast? Obviously I want to see tears of joy when the clock hits zero, so I bet that he would. I could still win this if the Broncos lose because I am sure that he won't be stoic if he loses his (or what will probably be) final game.

I have a couple of bets on who will win Super Bowl MVP. So far I have put money on Von, Emmanuel Sanders and Brandon McManus as my bets for MVP and I will still probably put another name or two into the mix. Probably Demaryius and Talib. I also have a bet on CJ Anderson as the first touchdown scorer since I think the Broncos will focus on the run a lot.

There is a bet out there asking, will Ted Ginn Jr. drop a pass? I sure he is due for one big drop during the game, though I hope he is blanketed so that Cam will not target him downfield often. There is another bet where the over/under on amount of times the word "dab" or "dabbing" is set at two. I don't think there is anyway Nantz and Simms say it two times or less and i'm sure it will even be mentioned right before kick-off. Simms might even forget he said it and then say it again the next sentence. Now as a Broncos fan, I hope it doesn't go too far above two because that likely means Cam is in the end-zone a lot.

There is one very morbid bet that is available. Will there be an earthquake during the game? The only option is yes. This would be an awful thing to bet on because who in their right mind is celebrating that if they are right?

I have two bets that actually directly pertain to the score of the game. Before the season started I took 12/1 odds that the Broncos will win the Super Bowl. I also bet an alternative line that listed the Broncos -3.5 favorites at +300. I didn't bet on the spread or the money line though because I don't want to win money of the Broncos lose and I already have basically a head to head bet when I bet the Broncos winning the Super Bowl at the beginning of the season.

I hope everyone does well on their bets, unless you bet on Carolina, then I hope you lose all of your money.

I am coming into this Super Bowl with very little nerves because what could happen? They lose by 35? I saw that two years ago. With this years defense though, that won't happen unless the offense turns the ball over a ton of times. This will be a close, low scoring game no matter who wins.

My final score prediction is 24-20 Broncos. Manning will ride out on top and one of the best defenses ever will finally be fully recognized.



No comments:

Post a Comment